Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm back....2010

I know that it has been a LONG time since I last posted. OOPS!!!

I'd like to use this blog more of as a journal for myself. If you all find it entertaining that's even better.

So, an update on my ankle situation, since that is what I like to post about. I finally went to an Orthopedic/Ankle Doc on March 17, 2009. He took ALOT of X-rays. I mean ALOT!!! He even did a CT scan. The result of it was Ankle Fusion. That was all he could do for me. I was like "No Thank You" and went on with life until August 2009, that's when I could not walk without crutches or cane. It was BAD!! I would be in tears from just trying to walk Trixie. I called that Doc up to get at least a Handicap hang tag and another appointment. This appointment the office assumed would be to discuss the Ankle Fusion surgery. I still didn't want to do that.

Time goes on. I get my handicap parking and I use my cane or crutches as needed. I had ALOT of people telling me to get a 2nd opinion and go to a Sports Medicine doctor. So I did. That was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made. My first appointment with Dr. Sheriff was September 14, 2009. He gave me soooooo many options instead of Ankle Fusion. He gave in shoe inserts, an air cast brace, and put me on Mobic. He also wanted to give me a Cortisone shot while I was under anesthesia. (Surgery #5) We did that on September 22, 2009. That was the best shot ever!! I was able to get up and walk bare foot without a limp!!! Of course, the Novicane helped alot at that point. Anyway, the shot worked pretty good over all. I had nearly a full week of NO pain. After that week, the pain was much more tolerable especially since I was taking Mobic.

I went back on November 4, 2009 to check how life was going. We re-evaluated the pain issue and at that point the screw on the inside of my ankle was the most bothersome hardware I had inside me. It has been trying to work it's way at since 6 months after it was put in!! Also, the 2 large bone chunks, 1 in front and 1 in the back, hinder my mobility of my ankle. (mostly the one in the front). So we left it at continue as I had been and come back after the holidays.

So, that brings me up to today's visit. I've decided to have surgery again. This time Dr. Sheriff will be removing the screw from the inside of my ankle and to remove the large bone chunk in front. If the other long screw is viewable at that time he will remove that also. This surgery is scheduled for January 19th.

We discussed that these 2 bone chunks are probably the result of the original doctor using "bone mesh" to try to clean up the mess that I made of my ankle when I fell off the step-ladder. We also discussed maybe one day (when insurance would cover it) of trying an injectable synovial fluid. I did find out that the brace I wear is for the arthritis and comfort. I have found that I do not begin the day without putting it on along with my shoes. There is no more going barefoot for me. Hopefully, this upcoming surgery will help me get back to walking comfortably without shoes.

No comments: